10 Rainy Day Kids ActivitiesApril 21, 2019
Rainy days can be a drag for everyone, but in particular the charged up young children. It is no secret we have to be creative in Tucker County on these days. Come prepared is rule #1. Mountain climate can change in a heart beat. Rule #2 is follow the recommended rainy days itinerary below and embrace mother nature!
- Big Johns Family Fixings is the closest thing to a “Chucky Cheese” we have, arcade games and massive pizzas is what they do best. For more hands on games like air hockey and miniature basketball, head to Canaan Valley State Park main lodge. Smiley’s Fun Zone takes inside fun to the next level. A 45 minute drive to Deep Creek, Maryland is awarded with Lazer Tag, kids bowling, indoor bumper cars and more.
- A 35 minute drive from Canaan Valley is Seneca Caverns and Smoke Hole Caverns, which is located nearby the Seneca Rocks Nature Center. Guided tours and amenities are available.
- Most Saturday and Sunday afternoons, The Purple Fiddle in Thomas WV offers free live music for those that can’t keep the feet still to the sound of the beat.
- Indoor swimming pools are available seven days a week. For a modest price anyone can enjoy these amenities at Canaan Valley State Park.
- Gem mining in the Adventure Cave at Mountain Trail Rides in Canaan Valley. Armed only with a hard hat, mining lamp, bucket and shovel, visitors of all ages enter a fabricated cave in complete darkness in search of over 200 different rocks, minerals, shells, gems and fossils.
- There are two Cinema 8 movie theaters in nearby Elkins, WV and Deep Creek Lake, Maryland. Each location have different offerings on a rainy day, so plan accordingly.
- Blackwater Falls State Park and the Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge Nature Centers are another option for staying busy on rainy days. Interactive displays, children specific activities and education fill out part of the day.
- Weather forecasts are now a dime a dozen, plan ahead. This is the perfect opportunity to introduce the technology inclined nine year old to board games, puzzles and card games. Ranger Janes in Thomas is specifically geared to kids’ fun. The Dollar General store in Davis carries puzzles, etc.
- Put on those rain jackets and embrace the rain. Take a short hike and let the kids be kids. Jump in puddles, chase insects, and gets those hands dirty! Just don’t forget to bring towels to dry off with for the drive home.
- Scenic Durbin and Greenbrier Railroad train rides depart daily through the spring, summer and fall from Elkins, West Virginia. There is actually quite a variety of trips that explore the many river valleys of the Allegheny Mountains. Coal fired steam train rides are also located in Cass, WV for those who are willing to drive the extra 45 minutes
- Glass blowing has been added to the list of offerings at the Buxton and Landstreet Gallery. Live demonstrations are sure to entertain and inspire future generations of artists.