Travel By Season
From the rugged beauty of the Blackwater Canyon to the pristine backcountry of the Dolly Sods wilderness, it’s a world untouched, unhurried and unrivaled. Whether you’re seeking hardcore adventure or a respite in the peace and quiet of our natural wonders, you’ll find that pleasure abounds all year long.
- Full Moon Ski or Snowshoe with the folks a Whitegrass XC Ski Resort.
- Snow Tubing and Ice Skating atCanaan Valley Resort.
- Explore Blackwater Falls State Parkby snowshoe or cross country ski.Lindy Pointsunset in the winter is epic!
- Schedule a horse drawn sleigh ride withMountain Trail Rides.
- Explore Dolly Sods Wilderness Area via theTimberline Ski Resortone way lift ticket. For a real adventure try winter camping.
- Receive some well-deserved pampering, from acupuncture to sports chiropractic attention, at one of the half dozen physical wellness centers in Canaan Valley, Davis, and Thomas.
- Take a beginner or intermediate ski/snowboard lesson at one of the two downhill ski resorts.
- Rent a fat tire snow bike from Blackwater Bikes
- Get a taste of Zip Lining at Timberline Four Seasons Resort, and if you want more thrills, head to Nelson Rocks for an even bigger Zip Line adventure.
- Hike up Red Creek Trail in Dolly Sods Wilderness and take a swim or hang out under a waterfall along the way.
- Participate in a women’s only Mountain Bike Clinic, or find out what the chill Canaan MTB Festival is like.
- Explore Tucker Counties' highest peak, Weiss Knob, and Canaan Valley Vistas from Bald Knob via access from Canaan Valley Ski Resorts scenic chair lift.
- Relax with family or friends on a real lazy river float trip down the Cheat River.
- Have a delectable lunch at the Purple Fiddle, while enjoying an afternoon of free live music almost every day, all summer long.
- Sign up for a photography or art workshop in Tucker County.
- Go Blueberry picking.
- Run a 5k marathon during Leaf Peepers Festival weekend.
- Pick cranberries in a real bog by day, bake cranberry bread or cran-apple crisp by night.
- Fall foliage peaks during the last weekend of September and the first weekend of October, make your plans accordingly.
- Day trip to Cass, Durbin or Elkins for world class scenic train rides.
- Build your own Christmas wreath at Whitegrass the Sunday after Thanksgiving, it’s free too!
- Volunteer your time doing trail work for one of the local trail clubs.
- Hike or Bike up the Blackwater Canyon Rail Trail from Hendricks, WV. Then take the “river road” and Back Hollow rd. back to Canaan Valley.
- Visit the Olsen Tower lookout for a 360 degree view of Tucker County.
- Thrill Seekers schedule a high water whitewater rafting trip withBlackwater Outdoor Adventures.
- DIY flat water canoeist and kayakers explore the headwaters of the Blackwater River onMill Runin Canaan Valley State Park.
- VisitDouglas Falls, little brother to Blackwater Falls, on the North Fork of the Blackwater River, just a few miles downstream of Thomas, WV.
- Horsepower enthusiasts head to Parsons in late May for the “Challenge in the Hills" Mud Bogs.
- Take a guided hike with theCanaan Valley National Wildlife Refugefor an early spring bird walk.
- Sign up for an artesian workshop at theBuxton and Landstreet Art Gallery.
- Trout stocking begins inTucker County Rivers, perfect timing for beginner and expert anglers.
- Get lost. Take a drive on a full tank of gas on the hundreds of miles of single lane dirt/paved roads betweenCanaan Valley, WVandDurbin, WV. Unlimited possibilities, just bring a map!